Warning: Illegal string offset 'itemurl' in /home/lutheran/www/www/admin/global_functions.inc on line 257
The Stone the Builders Rejected
Abstract: St. Francis in San Francisco re-dedicates it's building.
We found ourselves in San Francisco on Sunday, September 16 and dropped in at St. Francis for worship. It was an auspicious day: at the end of the service, the congregation processed outdoors for the re-dedication of the church's cornerstone, the unveiling of its landmark plaque (St. Francis is San Francisco Historic Landmark No. 39), and the placement of a 100-year time capsule. (The original time capsule was opened on the 100th anniversary of the building.)
Retired pastor Jim DeLange had some difficulty being heard over the passing streetcars and the sirens of two fire trucks and an ambulance that pulled into the Safeway parking lot across the street.
The plaque reads:
Built by Danish Immigrants as Ansgar Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church, the cornerstone for this church was laid on September 17, 1905. The lower floor was occupied and the second floor sanctuary nearly finished when, on April 18, 1906, the earthquake and fire destroyed much of San Francisco. In the days following, the first floor and parsonage served as a feeding station and hospital. The completed church was dedicated on December 2, 1906.
In 1964, Ansgar congregation merged with the Finnish Lutheran congregation at 50 Belcher Street (founded 1899) and the two became St. Francis Lutheran Church.
And in 1995, St. Francis was expelled from the ELCA for its role in calling and ordaining Pr. Ruth Frost, Pr. Phyllis Zillhart, and Pr. Jeff Johnson.